Sunday, April 15, 2018

Religion, beliefs, and what drives culture

            I was recently speaking with someone from home and they asked me to share the one thing that had been most surprising or interesting for me about the trip so far. My initial answer was a very challenging still birth that I had been involved in during my labour and delivery placement. This event is what has left the most vivid imprint on my mind. I can still recall the smells, sounds, emotions, and stressors of the specific event. But, as I gave my answer to the question, I realized that it wasn’t the only thing that had been significant about my trip so far. A common theme that strings itself throughout the most impactful personal moments of this trip is the culture of Ghana. Ghanaian culture is vastly different to Canadian culture in almost every way imaginable. As a visitor, it is a constant struggle to navigate, but learning the intricacies of a new culture is one of the most enriching pieces of travel. When I examine all that I have learned of Ghanaian culture over these weeks, religion is the piece that stands out from the rest. To be specific, the relations between the Christian and Muslim populations.
I come from a household where the radio is nearly always tuned to CBC Radio 1 and, consequently, I am used to hearing the world news at regular intervals. When I think of Muslim and Christian relations, conflict is the first thing that comes to mind. I am sure that I am not alone in this. The news that we hear impacts the lens that we view the world through and my understanding of these two religious groups was tainted by the news of conflict that I am so used to hearing. Ghana is a country of strong faith, and the Islamic and Christian religions are the two most popular in the country, but I have seen none of the conflict that I have heard so much about. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that this conflict is terrifyingly real in many parts of the world but what I have seen in Ghana has greatly shifted my lens. I have seen people of deep Islamic faith and deep Christian faith working and living their lives side by side in harmony.
The Ghana flag
Ghana is a place where religion is talked about frequently and passionately, with none of the taboo of Canada. In Canada, if someone were to ask me what religion I was upon first meeting me, it would be considered a rude question. In Ghana, I have been asked this same question numerous times. It is a cultural difference that I am slowly adjusting to. I do not identify with any religion, nor was I brought up with one. When I share this here it is often met with perplexity and many, many follow up questions. The individual is not trying to pry into my personal business but instead is trying to understand my perspective and my reasoning. As I have said before, Ghana is a country of strong faith. Religion runs deeply throughout the culture here and it has great meaning to many people.
Walking home from church on a Sunday morning
         On our first Sunday in Tamale, we were invited to attend the Catholic service at the University of Developmental Studies (UDS). That morning, I woke up to the call to prayer drifting through my window on the warm morning breeze. As I lay in bed, I knew that Muslims all across Tamale were kneeling in prayer. Within two hours of this morning prayer, I was filing into the Catholic church, warmly welcomed by the large congregation. Ghanaians live and breathe faith, and with this faith comes many wonderful things like a close-knit community and a strong and clear purpose in life. Religion and culture also play a very significant role in health.
            We were fortunate enough to have a personal lecture on the culture of Ghana by Dr. Glover, a professor of social sciences at UDS. Dr. Glover is known for his thought provoking and sometimes controversial assignment topics. He isn’t afraid to ask his students the difficult and uncomfortable questions. During the lecture he brought up a marginalized population in Ghana: men who have sex with men (MSM). Homosexuality is illegal in Ghana and therefore, the MSM population faces many challenges and receives inadequate health care. These men are living at risk everyday. Dr. Glover explained that the men usually come into the emergency department of the Tamale Teaching Hospital in the middle of the night. Safety in numbers and under the cover of darkness. He also explained that they are refused care in many places. During this discussion, there was a Muslim individual in the room. His discomfort about the subject matter was visible. He was shaking his head and speaking under his breath. After several minutes he walked out of the room, clearly having had enough of the topic. I share this piece, not to shame this individual, but to show the cultural and religious hurdles that the MSM populations faces in Ghana. Dr. Glover spoke passionately of the need for health care workers to move beyond their religion while caring for a person. He spoke of the duty to health and healing coming first with every single patient. This message is relevant in every culture and country. Every culture has its own biases. Every country has marginalized populations. Health care workers need take time to identify their biases and preconceptions before they will be able to provide the best possible care to each patient.
Sophie, Awal, and Camille at the Shakhinah clinic
           
          I have seen this model of healthcare in practice at the Shekhinah clinic. At this clinic, people of no faith and people of deep faith work together to provide wonderful care to any patient that comes to the clinic. The clinic was built on the foundation of faith in god, yet none of the volunteers are asked to follow any specific rules or system of belief. There is only one thing that each volunteer is asked to do and that is to provide compassionate and loving care. It is a space that transcends religion and cultural bias. All are welcome, and all are treated with respect. It is a model of health care based on pure human compassion, where the person comes before their religion, social status, or sexual orientation. This is the kind of system that I want to work within.


            From observing and learning about Ghanaian culture I have come to understand that every person comes with their own bias and that this bias alters the lens in which they see the world. There are parallels that run between health challenges in Canada and Ghana, even though at a first glance, the two health care systems could not seem more different. Health care, anywhere in the world, is about health and healing. It is about the patients and the care and compassion that they need. Culture shock has lead me to examine my own culture and biases more closely. While trying to understand my place here in Ghana I have been given the privilege of distance from my own Canadian bubble. This distance has lead me to question everything I know and take for granted back home. I am thankful to have been so thoroughly welcomed here in Ghana and to have had these open discussions about marginalized populations and religion. These aren’t always comfortable discussions to have but in this discomfort lies personal development. Culture is ingrained in a society and I encourage you to try and take an outsiders perspective of your own. Try and identify your biases and think of what it means to move beyond them. Learn to find comfort in the discomfort and to continue to question what you take for granted.


Blog post by Sophie Garmulewicz, 4th year UBCO BSN student 

No comments:

Post a Comment