Monday, April 9, 2018

Work hard play hard!

Since stepping off the plane, the past three weeks have been a continuous influx of new sights, smells, sounds, tastes and sensations. Our schedules have been full and our minds have been in overdrive trying to take in all that is around us. The scenery is ever changing as we are privileged enough to travel the length of the country, beginning in the south (Accra) and ending in the north (Bolgatanga). With hours of bus rides behind us and hours still yet to go, we have experienced the humid climate of the rainforest and now the dry weather influenced by the neighboring Sahara desert. For us, there is no settling down. There is no getting comfortable in one place for too long. We are nomads discovering our way in this foreign land.

Our days have been long and nights often sleepless, as I lay awake thinking of the impact the day has had on me. I spend the nights processing, questioning and considering all that my brain has absorbed throughout the day. My mind remembers the smiling faces of the local people, the overwhelming bustle of the markets and the contrasting differences between Ghana and home. I am invested whole heartedly in each experience, not wanting to waste a minute of the limited time I have here. I have so many unanswered questions that I cannot seem to wrap my mind around. Questions that are bigger than you and me. Questions that date back centuries. I have a constant yearning to learn more, to understand more.

Mole Park Entrance
Evenings are often spent prepping for the next days events, including health related presentations for the healthcare professionals at the hospital or organizing health screening for 200+ people in a small village that doesn't speak English. However, the simple action of trying to form a thought in this heat is a challenge in itself, and a cool relief is next to impossible to find. The ceiling fans cannot seem to keep up with the layer of sweat that covers my body at all times, worsened by the sticky layers of bug spray and sunscreen. Being the center of attention also becomes overwhelming. People constantly run up and take pictures of you and with you, often putting their arms around you for a pic or going straight for the selfie. One lady even video recorded our whole conversation together, something I realized at the end as she walked away. I am not used to being an outsider. My heightened awareness and processing of all that is around me is exciting, but mentally and physically tiring. I want to ensure that I continue to maximize my role of teaching and learning while here, and in order to do so effectively I recognize it is time for a break. Luckily, we were able to spend Easter Long weekend at Mole (Mole-ay) National Park.

Elephants in the Watering Hole
As the bus pulls up to the park and 18 of us flail our limbs out of a 13 seater clown car, I am overwhelemed by the sound of nature, the fresh air, and the view from the restaurant that overlooks the expansive national park. I rush down to another view point and see elephants playing in the water down below. I can feel the tears begin to pool in my eyes as I watch these massive creatures move so
gracefully. This is the first time I have seen elephants in real life. I cannot even begin to describe the gratitude I feel to be able to experience this moment. Throughout the day, the excitement grows as our group watches more and more elephants make their way across the desert plain to the large watering hole below. For hours, we watch 12 elephants as they go about their day, enjoying some relief from the hot sun. They are completely unaware of our presence, completely unaware they just made my whole day.

Headlamp? Check. Bug spray? Check. Safari Hat? Check. It is time for the night safari! Eight of us climb onto a not-very-secured roof rack of seating atop a Jeep. Our guide is armed with a gun that doesn't look like it would save anyone...and we're off. At this point, the wind blowing through my hair was enough to keep me happy and everything following was a bonus. I couldn't be bothered by the toonie-sized bugs hitting my face or the swarm of moths every time we stopped to try to spot an animal. I was just appreciative to be detached from my thoughts for the first time in a while. We spent over 2 hours driving the red dirt roads of the national park looking for nocturnal animals. The night sky was twinkling overhead while the bugs sang their songs. The mood of our group was the lightest I've felt it in weeks. There were no shortage of laughs, smiles, or exciting moments as we tried to spot the sneaky animals. We saw all sorts of red and green eyes peering back at us from the shadows. Sometimes we were able to see the body that belonged to the eyes, usually a bush baby or meerkat. As I lay in bed that night, my mind is completely at ease.
On top of the Jeep!

*David Attenborough narration* "As the Jeep from the morning safari comes to a stop, the tourists in the roof rack realize what they have stumbled across. Two large female elephants and a smaller male elephant are playing in the mud, occasionally cooling themselves down with water sprayed from their trunks."

At this point I was so excited I couldn't even manage to point my camera in the direction of the elephants. I'm not sure I was even forming words and I'm not sure I held onto the ladder as I climbed my way off the wobbly roof rack. All I could think about were the elephants. I stood in awe as I watched them do absolutely nothing. It was perfect. I didn't think this day could get any better but boy was I wrong. After admiring these three beautiful animals for some time, our guide ushered a little further into the trees. Here, there were NINE MORE ELEPHANTS and a couple crocodiles swimming and playing in the watering hole. You probably could've just left me there forever and I'd be so happy I'd bounce around like the bush babies we saw earlier in the day. Of course we saw lots of other animals including monkeys, baboons, warthogs, impala, water buck, vultures, and endless amounts of colourful birds I couldn't identify.

The rest of the day was so hot I rotated between the pool and the draft from the rickety ceiling fan in my room. This was really the first down time I've had in three weeks. I wasn't overanalyzing complex experiences from the day, I wasn't thinking about all of the things I still had to do, I was simply present in the moment with myself. It was a great opportunity to practice mindfulness and listen to and focus on the needs of my mind and body. I had the opportunity to read a book, to listen to music and to let my mind wander as it pleased. Could this day get any better?

Sydni and Michelle - Drowned Rats!
As we finished dinner on our last night in Mole National Park, what felt like the most magical thing happened. Drip...drip...drip...dripdripdripdripdrip. RAIN! We watched as a thunderstorm rolled in over the never ending sea of African trees below and with it came torrential downpour, thunder, lightening and even a breeze. With books and phones still in hand, we all went running outside to dance in the rain. We were out there for over an hour appreciating and welcoming the less hot temperature the storm brought. The locals were looking at us like we had lost our minds but soaking wet and standing in the breeze was the coolest I've felt since arriving in Africa. The shiver I felt through my body made me grin from ear to ear and I watched as a few goose bumps even tried to appear on my arms. As I look around at my drowned-rat looking colleagues, I recognize that each one of us is present in this moment. The calm, peaceful energy radiates from each individual, like the rain somehow washed away the last of our worries.




As I lay in bed on the last night, I smell nothing but the fresh rain and listen only to the thunder. I am comfortable in this moment and I've come to realize that home is a feeling that exists within myself. I recognize that I must be fully charged in order to be able to give meaningfully to others. Tonight I am wondering if I'll actually be able to use my bed sheet, as I can still feel the warmth linger in the air. As I close my eyes, I am excited for our nomad ways to take us to Bolgatanga tomorrow, as this means that another adventure awaits.

Posted by Sydni Lutzke
4th Year UBCO BSN Student




No comments:

Post a Comment