Monday, April 2, 2018

Tamale Accident and the ER 2.0 "Faces" a poem by Camille Galloway

There are faces that I see
At times when I close my eyes
I know they will always be there
Throughout the rest of my life

I walked in as a student
And on the third day I stumbled out
I felt like I had aged some years
You could see the faces in my eyes

She was a mother and a sister
A fighter until she passed
Our time together was brief
But in the end I couldn’t save her

As she let out one final scream
I held her hand and she went limp
I pounded on her chest, willing her to come back
But as her ribs cracked, her soul floated away

I still see her face
At night when I close my eyes
And I can still smell her sweat, vomit and blood
In my mind it’s still all too clear

He was a brother, a friend and a son
Born in the wrong country to be saved
But I fought so long and so hard
I couldn’t understand why nothing was being done

As the panic started to rise in my chest
I stepped out to take a breath
And in that moment of quiet I knew
The care he needed was never going to come

Was this murder? I’m still not sure
There are many questions with no answers
I wanted to yell, to kick and scream
Because I knew we could have saved him

But in the end when he slipped away
His eyes rolled back and his chest became still
I was left cold and empty
Just like the body beneath me

I still see his face
When I stare out the window
And the bitterness starts to rise
From the unfairness of it all

We didn’t save him
We couldn’t save him

When it was all over and done
When I stepped out of the room
There was still the brother, the friend, the father
There was still the daughter, the son and the sister

Their faces turned to look at me
And I stared into their hopeful eyes
As my stomach coiled itself into my chest
And I felt their hearts shatter with mine

I still see their faces
In the strangers on the streets
Perhaps they are in heaven now
Or just dust in the wind
Either way I could not save them
They are gone, gone, gone

I will always see their faces
Because I don’t want to forget
They deserved more than what they had
Yet they had more than what they wanted

As time moves ever forward
I will remember and grow stronger
But right now I still see their faces
And sometimes I will get mad
And it’ll be sad
For a while longer


***Don’t worry Mom and Dad we are coping well and heading to Mole to rest and recover! 

Written by Camille Galloway, UBCO 4th year BSN student

No comments:

Post a Comment